DANITY KANE - DANITY KANE [ALBUM REVIEW]
Sean "P. Diddy" Combs' infamous show "Making the Band" started airing in Middle Eastern countries one year after members of Danity Kane were chosen. I got to know about them via music blogs, and was very interested in getting a copy of their self-titled debut album. I finally had the chance to hear it, and here's what I think …
"One Shot" has a very catchy beat with hints of Indian influences. "Heartbreaker" should have been released a single given its addictive chorus. "Want It" sounds like a mixture between Timbaland's "The Way I Are" and Missy Elliot's "I'm Really Hot", whereas "Right Now" is Danity Kane's sex song as it's filled with orgasmic voices and seductive lyrics. Lead single, "Show Stopper", is magnificent in every sense of the word and I'm glad Yung Joc's verse didn't ruin the song. "Ooh Aah" gets kinda repetitive, but still one of the better joints on the album. "Press Pause" is original in its live instrumentation concept. Producer Bryan Michael Cox gives us the usual formula in the slow paced "Ride for You", but makes up for it in the club-hopping "Back Up" (he should try more with fast paced joints). "Stay With Me" is my personal favorite as it's extremely emotional and heartfelt. It's also similar to Backstreet Boys' "Incomplete", but 10 times better if I may add. The forgettable "Hold Me Down" and silly "Touching My Body" are my weaker picks of the lot. On the other hand, don't you agree with me that the interludes - "Ain't True" and "Come Over" – should have been turned into complete songs instead?
All in all, this album is definitely worth a listen and all the members have amazing vocals (duh!!! That's why they made into the band in the first place, hee hee). However, if I was in charge, this would have been the tracklist:
Danity Kane – Danity Kane (Monica Mania tracklist):
- One Shot: co-written by Adonis Shropshire / produced by Bryan Michael Cox and Kendrick "Wyldcard" Dean.
- Heartbreaker: co-written by Angela Hunte / produced by Jim Jonsin.
- Show Stopper: co-written by Angela Hunte / produced by Jim Jonsin.
- Back Up: co-written by Cheri Dennis and Kendrick "Wyldcard" Dean / produced by Bryan Michael Cox.
- Come Over: co-written by Mike Winans / produced by Mario Winans.
- Right Now: co-written by Keri Hilson / produced by Tim "Timbaland" Mosley and Nate "Danja Handz" Hills.
- Want It: co-written by Keri Hilson / produced by Tim "Timbaland" Mosley and Nate "Danja Handz" Hills.
- Ooh Aah: written and produced by Ryan Leslie.
- Sleep On It: co-written by Jason "Don Pooh" Boyd / produced by Scott Storch.
- Ain't True: co-written by Mike Winans / produced by Mario Winans.
- Press Pause: co-written by Mike Winans / produced by Mario Winans.
- Ride For You: co-written by Adonis Shropshire / produced by Bryan Michael Cox and Kendrick "Wyldcard" Dean.
- Stay With Me: co-written by Makeba Riddick / produced by Arnthur Birgisson and Rami.
Monica'z Rating = = Good